Monday, March 15, 2010

Play n Learn: Baby Counts 1 to 10

Every night I hold my son's little hand walking up the staircase (double storey). We count each step: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 .... bing bong!!! (a special sound effect two of us created) and repeat the numbers until we reach the bedroom. This daily activity has been started since he's still a baby. Firstly, I held him in my arms and read the numbers aloud. Sooner, he can talk and follow my words... then, he can walk and step up and count by himself... from 1 to 3, then 1 to 5, and by the age of 2, he can count 1 to 10.

This morning, he spoke ahead me, "Mommy, give me Five" after we completed some drawings. So i gave him a Hi-five... then he said, "make it Ten!" and lifted up his another hand. We clapped and laughed. I felt my efforts rewarded as... my little boy starts to understand basic Maths.

Many ways to introduce "Numbers" to babies, but I find babies pick up faster when you learn with them together.

(1) Read/Sing Rhymes: count his/her little fingers while reading/singing the rhymes
  • Ten Little Indian Boys
  • One, Two, Three, Four, Five (...once i caught a fish alive...)
  • Five Little Monkeys (... jumping on the bed...)
(2) Read books (Numbers): teach the "numbers" in Arabic & word form; introduce some stories like "Three Little Pigs" (learn 1st, 2nd & 3rd) and "Ten Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle" (count the ducks)

(3) Climb up/Go Down Stairs: begin with 1 to 5, then 1 to 10. (Repeat the numbers)

(4) Do Action's Signs: impress babies with simple actions involving numbers
  • Say "1,2,3, (let's) go/run/start" before playing a game or carrying out an activity - show your fist in the air and point out fingers one-by-one (3 fingers).
  • "Give me Five" - show up one hand and clap with his/her hand (don't forget to count his/her little five fingers and re-do this action again); Once he/she can tell this phrase, then you can add another phrase "Make it Ten" (count all ten fingers).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails